My favourite obsession that I am thankful I do not share, but am nonetheless impressed with

The Klingon Terran Research Ensemble, yes... you read that correctly... the Klingon Terran Research Ensemble premiered "u", a Klingon opera in The Hague the other night. I'm going to let that sink in for a while.
I have nothing against Trekkies. I actually generally like them and have myself seen every episode of the original series, TNG and DS9 as well as all of the movies (I actually cried at the end of the opening sequence in the most recent Abrams version, but that's a story for another day). I am however, a bit terrified of the depths of obsession that it brings out in people. It speaks volumes about how our brains are wired and the connections that some people need to make, neurogically and socially. Why does someone need to know the blueprints of a fictional spaceship? It's an interesting line...