My favourite way to start the afternoon









By the way, if you've never heard Bic Runga, you really should. Seriously.

I was in a record store in Seoul years ago and they were playing Beautiful Collision. I heard about 30 seconds of one song and went to the guy behind the counter. "What is this?", I asked, hopeful that his parents had forced him to take English classes at some point in his life.

He looked at me with blank Korean eyes.

I pointed to the ceiling, looking up to make sure he wouldn't think I was telling him the roof was falling before pointing to my ears. It's amazing how silly you can look whilst trying to ask such a simple question. He finally understood and said, "Bic Lunga".

"Bic Lunga?", I repeated.

 "No. Bic Lunga!", he said with great emphasis. I was about to give up when he handed me the CD (because this was when people still bought CDs) and repeated "Bic LUNGA".

"Ohhhhh...", said I finally understanding what had happened, "Bic Runga".

"Yes. Bic Lunga!", he concluded, proud of the fact that he had spoken English with a borderline-retarded foreigner.

I paid for the CD, went home and listened to it 30 times. In one day. I think I may even have cried. As you may have surmised, I do that quite a bit. Cry, that is. I do other things quite a bit too, but the crying tends to sneak up on me in increasingly insidious ways...

Sorry about the poor audio quality on Something Good. Blame the youtubes, not me...

0 comments:

Post a Comment